Step Out of the Ordinary and Into the Supernatrual

Thursday, October 22, 2009

When I was growing up in a small mountain town in Northern California in the 70's I loved to play baseball. To a young boy baseball is more than just a game. When you are out on that field, or in that batter's box, you get the chance to be something bigger than you really are. For a brief moment you could be Hank Aaron. When a young boy plays baseball he isn't just playing a game, he is taking on the role of someone much bigger than he is. Baseball tells you that you don't have to settle for who you are. You can dream big and reach for the stars. God is like that. He is rooting for us, telling us to go for it. You can do it! I believe in you!

When Moses was at the burning bush in Exodus 3, the voice that called out to him was about to launch him out of the ordinary and into the supernatural. Somehow Moses had settled into a life of the ordinary, the mundane. It was a good life. He had a wife and family, a good career and a very comfortable retirement as the son-in-law of the Priest of Midian. Nothing wrong with that, except that he wasn't born to be ordinary. That truth is, neither were you. You were born with a divine purpose that will always be much bigger than you are. Like that baseball player, step up to the plate and listen to the roar of the crowd chanting your name and cheering you on to greatness. Except it isn't mere mortals cheering you on. It is the voice of the God of your fathers telling you that this is your moment, that He believes in you, and if you will trust Him, you will be amazed at what He has created You for. You can argue with Him like Moses did and try to convince Him that He has the wrong guy, but it won't do any good. He will keep putting that bat in your hand until you finally step up and take a swing and find out He was right all along.

So what are you waiting for? Step out of the ordinary and into the supernatural. It's your turn at the plate.

1 comment:

sjebersole said...

When I was young, I started playing girl's basketball at our school. Turns out I was kind of a natural at it. My Dad said to me, "Yesterday you couldn't even spell basketball, now you are one!" It was his way of telling me how pleased he was that I picked it up so easily. Turns out that it wasn't my best sport, but the encouragement of my Dad meant the world to me.

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.