Worship: The Prescription for Trials

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Psalm 3 is a perfect prescription for what to do when we are facing trials. What do I do when I am facing difficulty or find myself in the midst of trials? I tend to fret, worry, lose sleep and get angry. I do everything but what David does here in this Psalm. David says that those who are against me have increased – “many are they that rise up against me.” It is a fact of life that trials seem to come in numbers. Spurgeon says that “troubles come in flocks.” Not only is David running from his son Absalom, but many of his trusted generals, soldiers and friends. And his enemies are taunting him, saying that God won't help him. When we face trials the enemy’s favorite strategy is to convince us that God is against us. That hurts more than the betrayal of any friend. If he can get us to believe that God is against us we are defeated. Condemnation always accompanies trials. We can expect it. This is the double- edged sword of the enemy. Satan may not have anything to do with the trial but he will always capitalize on our distress by heaping condemnation on us. His ultimate strategy is to get those around us to do his condemning for him.

So what do we do when we are in this situation? David shows us a strategy for dealing with trials. If we follow this prescription we will overcome our trials rather than our trials overcoming us.

#1 - Voice your distress to God. Don't be silent. He wants to hear how we feel, no matter how irrational we may sound. His ear is always attentive to our complaints. By keeping it to ourselves we only create more distress. I remember the old hymn we used to sing in my dad's church - Tell It to Jesus! When we are all alone facing difficult circumstances, don't forget that there is someone we can go to who listens and understands.

#2 - David says, "I cried unto the Lord with my voice". That is the one thing we fail to do. We strategize. We plan. We do everything but the most important thing - ask Him for help! David remembers who has the solution. As big as his trouble was, he remembered that God is much bigger and much more powerful. "But Thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory and the lifter of mine head." When you are in trouble don't look at the problem. Look at the solution. Keep your eyes on Jesus and the problem will seem so much smaller. Like the song says - "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.

#3 - Relax! Let God handle it and stop worrying. There is nothing I can do to change the situation. When we put our trust in God we will find ourselves totally at rest. We will be able to sleep in the middle of the storm. This is the great paradox. Control comes when we let go and let God take control. I have found that He is so much better at handling my problems than I am.

#4 - Focus on the promise of God's victory. He will deliver you. You can count on it. Don't focus on the battle but focus on the outcome. This is what walking by faith and not by sight is all about. It is really hard not to react to what we see with our eyes but we need to remember that what we see is not what God sees. He sees what we cannot. This reminds me of another song from many years ago that says, “Hold on my child. Joy comes in the morning.”

"From the Lord comes deliverance. May Your blessing be on Your people." Psalm 3:8 (NIV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No matter what words that encourage us to stand firm in the battle are never too many, I've been having many small battles lately (like most of us), but this week I start a new job and these words are timely as I am sure I will be tested, may I walk in faith and not sight.
F.C

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.