Are We There Yet?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

are we there yet?
I have fond memories of the rare road trips my family took when I was a kid. We usually took the four or five hour trip to see my Aunt and Uncle in Fremont, California. We would load up my dad's '59 Pontiac Station Wagon with our luggage, along with a few dozen cases of Coke-a-Cola. We always took an ample supply with us since my dad's best friend was a regional manager for the Coke-a-Cola company. This greatly pleased our dentist back home. The fact that we drove a '59 Pontiac, that we rarely took road trips, and we had readily available drinks on the way made for a very interesting journey with three rambunctious kids in the back seat. Coupled with the fact that my dad was the kind of driver who wouldn't stop until we got to our destination, I would have to say that it was a miracle from God himself that any of us lived to tell about it. We wouldn't leave the driveway until the large coffee can was in the back seat with us kids. I still have nightmares from having to sit next to my brother as he was throwing up or peeing in that coffee can. To this day all coffee in my house must come in a bag. I think you are beginning to understand why family road trips were rare in my family. When we did finally get to our destination, my dad would invariably end up spending his entire vacation rebuilding the transmission in my uncle's driveway. I recently figured out that the reason why the transmission burned up was due to the 1000-pound tool box my dad insisted on taking, just in case the car broke down. But the fact remains we always had such a great time on vacation with my family that the trip was always worth the destination.

Life is like that. We are on a spiritual journey filled with twists and turns along the way to our destination which is eternity with the Lord. There are times when we don't think we will ever survive the journey. There is a key that will ensure our safe and successful arrival. That key is to keep the destination always in front of us. Paul tells us in Romans 8:18, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." The destination makes the entire journey worth it! That is the simple principle that Jesus followed for us as he went to the cross. Hebrews 12:2 says, "...for the joy set before him He endured the cross, scorning its shame." I am so thankful that he was focused on the destination and not the journey.

If my father had a dollar for every time one of his children said, "Are we there yet?" over the years, he would have died a wealthy man. Sometimes I feel like asking the Lord that same question when this journey gets a little long and overwhelming. We still have a ways to go, but it is vital that we keep the destination of eternity with him right in front of us every step of the way. When we do that, we will make it to the end. Hang in there. You can make it because the Lord, Jesus himself is your driver. By the way, I am now learning as an adult to make sure I take time to enjoy the journey along the way too. There is a lot to see and enjoy if we take the time to slow down and see the sights.

If you enjoyed this devotional, you can read it and more in "Captivated By the Heart of God", available from Kindle Direct Publishers on Amazon.com. To purchase a copy or download a free sample, click the image below.



1 comment:

AJ said...

Thanks for sharing this timely message. I've asked God the same question recently...

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.