Order Up

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My wife can tell you that I am one of those rare artists that is a neat freak. Most artists are not. It's an illness I've learned to accept. I can't walk by the platform on Sunday without straightening out that one microphone cable that is lying in a heap. It must be neatly coiled. There are times I catch myself counting my steps as I walk the dog. I can't stand clutter. It drives me nuts, even to the point that I don't like unused files on my hard drive, or files on my computer desktop. They must be neatly filed in a folder. I like order. It gives me comfort in a world that at times is so full of chaos and disorder. I will say this though, I have learned over the years to take breaks from my compulsion and enjoy a little disorder here and there. It's good therapy.

God is the God of order. As you read the Bible you will notice that it is full of lists that have a purposeful order to them. I recently finished a study on the Beatitudes and I am amazed at the order they have been given to us. I don't believe that was by accident, but that it was carefully planned that way. They are progressive. You have to master the first one before you can master the second, and so on. The first one naturally leads to the second. The list is divided into two parts. The first four deal with our relationship with God, and the last four deal with our relationships with people. The spiritual truth there is that the only way I can truly develop successful relationships with other people is to develop a successful relationship with God. It is impossible to really love others until I have learned to love God. The Ten Commandments are the same way. Jesus summed them up this way in Matthew 22:38--"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself." See the order? It's there on purpose.

Secular humanism teaches that the key to finding God is loving our fellow man. When we become one with each other, then we have found God. The Beatles sang about it in the song, "All You Need Is Love." It's a noble concept but an impossible one. We can't achieve harmony with each other when we are not in harmony with the Father. You have to get the order right. The deeper my love for God grows, I find myself naturally loving other people on a deeper level. I find myself reaching out to people that I don't normally reach out to. The truth, according to God's order, is that the key to loving you is found in loving God and experiencing His love for me. Dysfunctional relationships are a sign that our relationship with God is not right. The opposite is just as true. Healthy, functional relationship with others is a sign that I have a healthy relationship with God.

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord. - Psalm 37:23

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.