1 Corinthians 13 and Social Networking

Saturday, November 6, 2010

For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. - Matthew 12:34-35

In the virtual world of the Internet millions of people are vainly attempting to develop a life separate from their real world life. It may work for a short time, but eventually the real you will come out in your online profile. Many think that they can develop friendships through Facebook and other social networks that they couldn't have otherwise. I don't have scientific data to prove this, but the cold reality is that it usually turns out to be the opposite. Social Networking reveals who we really are and only makes our flaws stand out more.

As Christians the word of God calls us to be different than the world. This is especially true in the online world we live in. Sometimes you will be hard-pressed to see much difference in Christians in how they present themselves online. They think because we can't see their faces that somehow grants them a level of anonymity. 1 Corinthians 13 is known as the "love chapter" and is a guideline for living a Christ-like lifestyle. Let's adopt this as our online profile guide. Let's make it our mantra. I have adapted it from The Message translation. Maybe someone should develop a new translation of the Bible and call it "The Social Networking Version" or "SNV."


If I tweet with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but noise.
If my status updates speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I say to my followers, “Jump,” and they jump, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
If I “friend” the poor and friendless, but I don’t love, I’m not really a “friend.”
So, no matter what I tweet, what my blog or status update says, I’m nothing without love.
Love never gives up on its friends.
Love cares more for its friend’s status than its own.
Love isn’t envious of how many friends someone else has.
Love doesn’t try to impress its friends.
Love doesn’t use its profile to show off.
Love doesn’t hijack its friend’s online conversations.
Love doesn’t use Facebook or Twitter to vent.
Love doesn’t post negative things about others.
Love doesn’t flaunt their friend’s struggles.
Love always posts something that is encouraging and uplifting.
Love always forgives.
Love always tweets the best about their friends.
Love never brings up friend’s wrongs.
Love never gives up on its friends.

3 comments:

smplcv said...

David, I can just say, hats off! Fantastic site.


Cleaner CV

debra said...

Great post David. I'm ever conscious of not conforming to the world. Before I ever began blogging, I heard the Lord say, "Let your light shine," and took this as a sign to plow ahead. I pray that my writing reflects Christ, as does yours.

Blessings,
Debra

http://debrasblogpureandsimple.blogspot.com

David Good said...

Thanks Debra. Keep writing and encouraging others through your blog.

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.