What's Love Got To Do With It?

Thursday, April 7, 2011

What's love got to do with it? Everything! In 1 Corinthians 13 we see what happens when the Church neglects the most important aspect of who we are called to be. The Corinthian believers focused all their attention on the Gifts of the Spirit and had forgotten about the more important thing - the Fruit of the Spirit, specifically Love. Paul says, "And now I will show you the most excellent way" in verse 1, and in verse 13 he says, "But the greatest of these is love." Love is the foundation that all things must flow out of. Without Love then tongues, miracles, and prophecies are meaningless because they are not flowing out of the heart of God, but from the heart of man. Without Love we cannot be authentic or genuine. Frankly, we become "false."  Jesus warns us to beware of "false prophets." He also says that we will know them by their fruit, or lack of it. It is safe to say that when we are void of the fruit of Love, we are nothing more than false prophets. We are not genuine because we are not like Jesus without Love.

As we pursue the Fruit of the Spirit, it is important that we understand that fruit is not the result of things we do, but who we are. Our actions do not dictate our fruit, but rather, the fruit in our lives determine our actions. It is important to note however, that actions are important. We can't just behave badly and hope to produce fruit. But that illustrates my point because bad behavior is a result of a lack of fruit. Deciding to act a certain way does not change my heart. As I surrender my will to Christ, He then transforms my heart and my will and my actions follow suit, therefore producing the Fruit of the Spirit in me. As I am transformed by His love for me, I naturally begin to love others around me. I become more patient and kind, more self-controlled and gentle. It is then that the Gifts of the Spirit can now naturally flow out of the foundation of the Fruit of the Spirit. In other words, The Gifts are the Fruit or result of the Fruit of the Spirit. This diagram illustrates how everything must flow out from a foundation of love with the end result being the Holy Spirit's covering over us.


So, what's love got to do with it? Everything! Let's focus on the most important thing - Love. The world needs to see Jesus expressed through His followers as authentic - the real deal. How will they know if we are authentic? Jesus said they will know us by our fruit.

3 comments:

chevonee said...

I love this post David!! I love how you make the Word of God understandable for anyone. May God continue to bless and keep you in all your ways!

jlund@satx.rr.com said...

My favorite author, My favorite Book, and now a new visual way of looking at my favorite chapter. Thanks.

I'm waiting with baited breath for the next post on finger prints. Your thoughts on a unique name imprinted on a hand raised in worship were extremely insightful this Sunday. I hope you expand on it.

David Good said...

@Chevonee - thanks for your kind comments. I hope my blog brings you encouragement.

@jlund - Thanks. I plan on writing a post this week on that subject. It is a thought that intrigues me and I'm looking forward to looking into it deeper.

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.