World's Best Mom!

Saturday, May 12, 2012


world's best mom!
Me and my Mom
It has been ten years now since my mother went to be with the Lord. Her name was Shirley. I had the awesome privilege of speaking at her memorial service. She was a remarkable woman and she taught me a lot about life. She had a profound depth of wisdom, was kind and loved everybody. I can honestly say that there is not a person alive who met my mother who didn't like her. She just had a way with people. Her family made the trek from Oklahoma, westward to Eugene, Oregon where my dad met her. He was an itinerant preacher fresh out of Glad Tidings Bible Institute in San Francisco. My mom was playing the piano for the services and he immediately fell in love with her. He was a smart man. Marrying her was by far the best thing he ever did. They soon married and became missionaries to Bolivia where I was born. After nearly a decade on the field, they returned to California and pastored a small church in Quincy for thirteen years. During their last decade on this earth, my parents settled in the Los Angeles area and joined the faculty at Latin American Bible Institute where my dad taught bible, all in Spanish, and my mother ran the library and campus book store. They loved those years of mentoring young people as they prepared for the ministry.

My wife, Meriam
There are many things my mom taught me that I will never forget, and to this day, permeate the way I live. I must admit that I haven't mastered them like she did, but her legacy challenges me to keep at it. I wouldn't be who I am without her influence. By far, the greatest impact she has had on me is evident in the woman I chose to marry. My wife possesses many of the character traits my mom did. If you want to get an idea of what my mother was like, just spend a couple of hours with my wife and you will get a pretty good idea. She has stepped in where my mom left off, and I must say, I wouldn't be half the man I am today if it wasn't for her. I am more patient and kind than I used to be. I am definitely wiser and smarter. I am learning to enjoy the small things in life and not just focus on the destination. I walk slower and take more time for other people. I am a better father. I could go on and on.

I am truly thankful on this Mother's Day for two fantastic women that God has placed in my life. I don't know where I would be if it weren't for them. Take time this weekend to show your mom and your wife, if you are married, how special and important they are to you. Teach your children to cherish and value them. This will be one of the greatest lessons you will ever teach them. Don't let it end after Mother's Day is over. Make it the beginning of a way of life.


No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.