Who Are You?

Monday, February 25, 2013

man with question mark on face"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." - 1 Peter 2:9

Since you are reading a blog on the Internet chances are that you have joined some social networking site such as Facebook or Twitter. And if so you most likely created a "profile" to go along with your online identity. The purpose of an online profile is to let people know something about you in a nutshell. Profiles usually include information about employment, marital status, hobbies, political views, etc. The problem with most profiles is that they don't really tell you anything about the person - what makes them tick or keeps them up at night, what their passion is, or their dreams and aspirations. They usually tell me simply what they "do" vs. "who they are". When we meet people at a dinner party or at a conference our first question is usually, "So, what do you do?" I hate it when someone asks me that because I feel like I have to come up with something to impress them. When someone asks me, "So, tell me a little bit about yourself", I feel that person is genuinely interested in ME.

Let me challenge you to think deeper about worship. It is not something you "do", but rather, it is "who you are." There is a huge difference. I don't worship - I'm a Worshiper. Notice the capitalization? It's Worship with a capital "W" because that is who I am. There are many things I do on a daily basis. I work at a church as a Worship Pastor. I am a musician by trade. I play tennis. I play the piano. The list can go on. When I say I'm a husband that's a whole different matter because that is who I am, not something I do. When I'm at work doing pastoral duties I don't cease to be a husband. I simply am a husband that has to go to work that day. I don't come home at 5:00 and start doing "husbandly things". I live like a husband 24/7. That keeps me faithful to my wife when I'm at work or doing all the other things I have to do each day. My identity as her husband dictates the way I live and act because that is who I am. I think you get the picture.

worshiper on mountain
Change your profile this week. Make worship who you are, not just one of the myriad things you have to do on your calendar. Your identity as a worshiper will dictate the way you live and act. It will also help you live up to your potential because that is who God created you to be. What would happen if everyone who showed up to our worship services on Sundays stated living like this? I have decided to stop leading worship on Sunday mornings and start leading worshipers. How about you? Don't just do it. Live it! Don't forget who you are today.

Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox: Subscribe by email

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.