3 Keys To A Healthy Leadership Attitude

Friday, August 23, 2013

3 keys to success
If you have ever been in a position of leading other people I'm sure it didn't take you long to realize that leadership is not easy. When you are the leader you can't afford to be insecure. You can't wear your feelings on your sleeve and you have to have a thick skin. As I study successful leaders I have noticed one common key to their success - Attitude! Attitude is everything. I have witnessed first hand the success of people who have seriously lacked in areas we think are keys to success - education, talent, charisma, social status, etc. - yet have enjoyed tremendous success as leaders. What they lacked they made up for with a winning attitude. Their attitude is what drew people to follow them. Jesus is the ultimate example of a leader with a winning attitude. This is so eloquently stated for us in Philippians 2:5-8.

Paul gives us 3 keys to developing a healthy leadership attitude:

#1 - Never seek after recognition.


Verse 7 says "He made himself nothing". Jesus didn't try to make a name for himself. He didn't draw attention to himself. There are way too many leaders who are out for one thing - to make a name for themselves. My job as a leader is to point people to Jesus, not me. When we all go home after a worship service the one thing people should remember most is not my message but what God did in their heart. A friend of mine says "I must decrease so that He may increase".

#2 - Serving others must be our sole motivation.


Verse 8 says "He took the very nature of a servant". I am amazed that the King of the universe came to earth to serve humanity. He never demanded anything from us. People will gladly follow a servant-leader because they know they can trust that kind of leader. They don't have an agenda or a hidden motivation. They simply care about those they are leading. A word of warning here - people can tell when a leader is pretending to be a servant when he really isn't. Ask a leader to clean a toilet and you will find out if he or she is really a servant-leader of not. Jesus came to us not to be served, but to serve and give his life as a ransom for many. That's our model.

#3 - Do it out of sheer obedience to God.


Verse 8 says "He became obedient, even unto death". Sure, there will be days when you want to quit. You will be horribly mistreated and you may even be betrayed. When this happens you have something in common with Christ for he too experienced days like that. But I am glad he didn't quit. He didn't quit because he knew that he had to be obedient to the will of his Father. There are days I don't feel like going on. The only thing that keeps me coming back is that God has asked me to do this and I know I have no other choice. I have to remind myself that I'm not doing it for me or anyone else. I'm doing it for him.

These 3 attitudes may not make your job any easier but I guarantee you it will bring you success. Not success as the world defines it but true success as God defines it. It won't get you noticed by TBN or get you a book contract but it will guarantee that you will hear "Well done, thou good and faithful servant". With an attitude like Jesus, how can you go wrong? Hang in there and please, don't quit. The kingdom needs servant-leaders like you!
Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox. Subscribe today!

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.