Congratulations! You Have Been Chosen!

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

1st choice
When I was a kid growing up I was smaller than everyone else. Kickball was the preferred sport then and we spent every lunch hour and recess playing. Usually Vince and Bo were nominated team captains since they were the fastest and best kickers. As team captain you had the privilege of choosing your team. Each captain would take turns choosing players until the last one was chosen. I'm sure you already guessed that I was usually the last one chosen. I did eventually grow and catch up to my classmates and everything turned out well in the end.

My moment of glory came in my early 20's when playing for a church softball team. It was my turn up to bat and the opposing team all moved in. I think I even heard the catcher yell, "easy out!" The first pitch came and I belted it against the center field fence for an in-field home run. It was so fun to step on that home plate, look the catcher in the eye and ask, "What was that you were saying?"

In John 15:16 Jesus said, "You did not choose me, but I chose you." God's method of choosing is different than ours. We choose based on ability. We choose those who are the strongest, tallest and talented. God on the other hand chooses based simply on the basis of His love for us. He specializes in the overlooked. He has a heart for the undervalued. He loves the rejected and dejected. In God's kingdom those in last place are in first place; the weak are strong; the poor are rich.

I hope that changes your perspective. So, as you step up to the plate today and hear the chatter that tries to intimidate you, remember who you are and pop one over their heads. And as you round the bases hold your head up high because the One who chose you knew you could do it and that is why you are on His team! As you round 3rd base step on home plate, look that catcher in the eye and talk a little smack right in his face. Live today in the reality that you are His chosen one.


Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox. Subscribe today!

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.