What Would Happen If We Had Authentic Brotherly Love For One Another?

Thursday, January 30, 2014

brothers hugging
To love a brother and to be loved by a brother is unlike any other kind of love. My younger brother and I had this other-worldly ability to melt each other's heart while at the same time irritate the snot out of each other as we were growing up. One minute we were inseparable and the next we had to be separated. My brother had an uncanny ability to get injured while we played catch with a Nerf football, which ended up with him going to the emergency room and me going to my room. He broke his collarbone and I was grounded. He fell out of a tree on his head and I was grounded. He poked me with a stick and I still was grounded. Yet, if anyone even thought of picking on him or looked at him the wrong way, I would clobber them. There is something about brothers and their love for each other that is unique to all other loves. That is because brotherly love is simply based on relationship, not actions. No matter how horribly my brother treated me I somehow loved him all the more. We love each other because of who we are. It was a natural response and didn't ever have to think about it. We may have fought like cats and dogs all day, but when the day was done, we were brothers and nothing else mattered.

I am not saying that it is okay for us to fight like cats and dogs. No, that is what children do. But there is an element of that childlike, brotherly love that I think we need to emulate in the Body of Christ. The kind of love Peter is calling us to is the kind of love Christ has for us. That love is never based on our actions. It is simply based on relationship. He loves us because of who we are, not what do or don't do. That is the way we must love one another. This kind of love brings freedom because we do not have to keep score. There is no reward or punishment system. We love each other simply because of who we are. It comes naturally. My brother and I are not particularly close today. He is a missionary overseas and I see him for a few days every four years. But if he ever needed anything, if he ever got into any trouble and need help, I would drop everything and board the next plane out of the country. I know that he would do the same for me. Brothers do not have to think about it. It is just what brothers do. It is a gut reaction. It is a result of our character.

What would our churches look like if we loved each other like that? Radically different for sure. I think there would be a tremendous tidal wave of people breaking down our doors wanting to experience that same kind of love. That would be the sure sign to the world that we are the real deal. Yet the Church today is famous for the conflict within her walls. We have a reputation of eating our own and shooting our wounded. How can we expect to reach the world with the love of Christ if we are not manifesting authentic brotherly love to one another? We can't. To claim that we are Disciples of Christ means that we must love one another the way Christ loves us. Without authentic brotherly love, there can be no unity.

This is an excerpt from my eBook, Living the Transformed Life, which is available on Amazon.com. Click on the thumbnail to the left to buy a copy today.
Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox. Subscribe today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


David, this is a great article. As the years tick by, more and more I become aware of man's need for Christ Jesus.

If we we are not in love with Him, we go astray very easily. Unsaved man desperately needs to be cleansed and purified by the sinless Son of God.

I've come to realise that it is impossible to live a self-controlled life without His transforming love.

Sinners, come to the God of the Bible, for He truly longs to draw you to His Beloved Son. Come to the risen Christ, for gracious and loving is this most wonderful Teacher, Savior, Lord and God.

Reine Gnade

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.