Positioning Yourself to Hear God's Voice

Tuesday, April 15, 2014


listening ear
My family often eats lunch out on Sundays after church. This is not my favorite time of the week to eat out because restaurants are usually very crowded at that time and I’m starving after a long, busy morning and am not in the mood to wait. I don’t like it when I am given a pager and the only place there is room to wait is outside. They assure me that they will page me and call my name over the loudspeaker. I don’t trust those pagers. I prefer to stand in the lobby so that I will be ready the instant my table is ready. I don’t want to take the chance that I might not hear them call me and give my table to someone else.

I want to be like that when it comes to listening for God’s voice. I don’t want to be caught off guard and miss it. Listening for his voice is like being in a noisy, crowded restaurant lobby waiting to be called. It’s hard to hear the hostess calling your name. In 1 Samuel 3:1-3 we read something interesting about the boy Samuel. We read that Eli, the High Priest, was lying down in his usual place, but Samuel was lying down in the temple where the ark of God was. Samuel, unlike Eli, was strategically positioning himself in a place where he could hear God’s voice when he spoke. He didn’t want to miss it. This young boy was so hungry to hear God speak to him that he wanted to be as close as he could possibly be to God. That night God’s voice came and Samuel was listening. Eli missed it because he was lying down is the same spot he did for years. He wasn’t hungry for God’s voice and he missed it.

The reason God spoke to Samuel and not Eli is because Samuel lived his life in a way that strategically positioned him to hear God’s voice. It had nothing to do with age, title, experience or status. God is speaking to his people right now. Those who are in the right place will hear it. Are you desperate for God’s voice? Have you positioned yourself in a place where you are able to hear him? I want to be like Samuel. I want to be somebody who is not only ready to hear him, but who can recognize his voice when he speaks.
Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox. Subscribe today!

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.