We Have a Hope That Will Not Fade

Monday, May 12, 2014

shining hope
My parents gave their lives to the work of the ministry. They sacrificed everything to fulfill God's call to be missionaries and later to be pastors. They did not make much money, did not get to see their extended family often, and willingly lived in a fish bowl allowing their lives to be in the spotlight where their every move was scrutinized. They were often misunderstood, criticized, and on a few occasions, betrayed by trusted church members. I never heard one word of regret fall from their lips for choosing a life of ministry. I heard countless messages about God's goodness and loving kindness from my father and then watched both of them lose their battle with cancer in their later years.

Too often, however, we allow our view of God to be shaped by our circumstances rather than allowing God to shape how we view those circumstances. What should have left me bitter and disillusioned left me hopeful and more convinced of God's promise of faithfulness. I observed both my parents before they had cancer and observed them fight for their lives. What I observed was that their faith never wavered. It literally got stronger the weaker they became physically. One of the last things my dad said to me has had a profound impact on my life ever since. As I sat on the couch with a man who could barely keep his eyes open, much less sit up, or walk, he grabbed my hand with what little strength he had, looked me in the eye with a smile and said that everything he ever preached about God is true and he believed it now more than ever. From that moment on, I knew that because God was faithful to my dad and that he could trust him in his darkest moment, I would be able to trust him too.

Not only do we have a hope in a living Savior, we have a hope that because he lives, we too will live with him forever. That is what Paul meant in Philippians 1:21 when he said, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." I love that God does things BIG. You see, he did not just save us from our sin, he delivered us from death too! The way we know this promise will never fade is because he is still alive and he lives forever. When God makes a promise, he always backs it up with collateral. The collateral we can bank on is that his Son is alive and is seated at his right hand. As long as he lives, we can bank on his promise of our salvation. My dad taught me that our hope never fades!

This is an excerpt from my eBook, Living the Transformed Life, available on Amazon.com. Click on the cover photo below to view details.


Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox. Subscribe today!

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.