The Refuge of Stillness

Thursday, August 7, 2014

man sitting in window
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge." Psalm 46:10-11

I have noticed that it seems the pace of life has dramatically increased. People seem busier than before and they are dealing with increased stress. There seems to be a level of anxiety that has blanketed our culture like a hot, steamy Texas summer day. You can even see it in the air giving the appearance that you are looking through a thin curtain. It's tough to be still when life is like that. Being still seems to exacerbate the unsettled feeling that is pushing you to frantically work to somehow make it go away, only to discover that it makes it worse. Being still gives the impression of doing nothing, of even giving up. Men especially find it difficult to just be still.

As I studied this verse a little deeper I discovered that it doesn't mean to be at rest or idle. The actual meaning of that word in Hebrew is "to be feeble; to fail; to weaken." (Vines Expository Dictionary of OT Words) To be still means that we have to come to an end of ourselves. We have to acknowledge our inability to help ourselves and accept the fact that only God can help us. Coming to the end of myself is realizing the ability of God's power to deliver me from trouble. To be still is the only way to know that He is God. When I am strong, I don't see His strength. When I am successful, I don't see what God has already done for me. When I am in motion, I can't see Him moving in the midst of my problems. The moment I stop moving, stop relying on my success, and stop trying to be strong, that is when I suddenly understand that He is God.

We need to learn the art of being still. It is an art for it doesn't come naturally or easily. We have to practice it. Be still today. Be feeble and weak so that you will know that He is God. Come to the end of yourself so that you come to a new beginning in Him.
Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox. Subscribe today!


No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.