God's Delightfuly Lavish Christmas Gift

Sunday, December 21, 2014

sheer, child-like delight

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45

Nothing can compare to the sight of watching a child open a Christmas present and squeal with delight at the sight of receiving the one thing they most wished for in the whole world. My son is now 20 and he doesn't squeal and tries not to show too much emotion. That wouldn't be cool. I remember when he was 4 years old and wanted a Thomas the Tank Engine for Christmas. When he opened his present and saw it right before his very eyes he said: "Ohhhhh, doody, doody! Just what I always wanted my whole life! I'm soooo exciting!!!" Imagine that being said with eyes wide open, wide grin, and a lisp, and you get the picture. I miss those days. However, when he got an iPhone last year he immediately bragged about it to all his friends on Facebook. That made my day.

Never once have I ever given my son a gift with the intention of ever getting anything from him in return. I can honestly say that my sole intention has always been simply to see the delight and joy on his face. It's hard to explain, but nothing comes close to bringing me more joy than delighting him with a special gift.

When Jesus came to us in the manger that first Christmas, he didn't come just so he could hear a host of angels sing, or see a bunch of shepherds bow down and worship him. He didn't come to get anything out of it. He came simply to lavish us with the greatest gift man could ever receive--grace! His coming was meant to delight us, not delight himself. As a father, I can imagine our Heavenly Father on that day peering over the heavens to see the delight on the faces of his children down here on earth. He wasn't trying to get a response. He was responding to us out of his love for us.

This Christmas I pray that you will be filled with a new-found delight and joy in the wonderful gift that you have been given. There could be no greater way to honor God and give him praise than by embracing the gift of his Son. Yes, the saying "It's better to give than to receive" is true, but don't get so caught up in giving that you forget to receive God's gift to you. Remember the words of the angels that day when they said, "Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." You couldn't give Him any better gift than sheer, child-like delight!

Merry Christmas from The Good Life!

Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox. Subscribe today!

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.