It's The Little Things That Count

Thursday, September 24, 2015

details
I often wonder what will happen when we are in heaven and look back on the life we lived here on earth. I'm fairly certain that we will realize much of what we spent our time and energy on wasn't as important as we thought it was. I'm sure you have heard the phrase "Don't sweat the small stuff" or other mantras like that. I have to be careful not to get too caught up in details that I miss the big picture sometimes, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that these philosophies are a little dangerous if taken too far. Let me tell you why I believe we should sweat the small stuff.

In Luke 16:10 Jesus says, “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much." Sometimes we think that if we could just get the chance to prove ourselves by handling the big project or taking on more responsibility, we could get somewhere in the workplace.

A few years ago a church where I was on staff was looking for a guest speaker for a youth retreat. When we approached a young man with the opportunity the first thing he said was that he only speaks to crowds of at least one thousand people and he didn't have time for "little" venues. You can imagine our response. Needless to say, he didn't get the invitation.

I think it is healthy to have big dreams and pursue great things for God. However, how can we be trusted with the "big" things until we can prove faithful in the "little" things? The answer is we can't. If we want to realize the dreams God has put in our hearts and accomplish big things for His kingdom, it starts with going after the little things we have been called to do today. Our future is accomplished by keeping one eye on that future and the other eye and both hands firmly focused on the present. My future success depends on my present success. It's the little things that count before God and that is where we have the chance to prove our character.

What do you think? Is there a time in the past that you can look back on and realize it helped you get to where you are today? Are there things you are neglecting today that are hindering your ability become better? Sometimes the things we think are minor details can actually make or break us in the long run. A wise leader understands that it's the little things that make a difference.  
Get free updates from The Good Life in your inbox. Subscribe today!

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2017. The Good Life.